Thursday, September 2nd, 2021
Welcome back to Winlaw Elementary for our returning students and families and a warm welcome to our new students in Kindergarten and Grades 1-6! I hope you enjoyed a summer of fun and relaxation with family and friends especially during these last few weeks of clear skies. Here is some information for you as we begin the new school year:
First Day Tuesday, September 7th
Our 2021-2022 school year start up is just around the corner on Tuesday, September 7th. This will be an early dismissal day so students will attend from 8:03-11:05. School buses will run on the regular schedule in the morning and will leave school at 11:10. If you haven’t already registered your children for the bus, please do so online by using this link https://www.sd8.bc.ca/schools/busing-transportation.
Please note: all bus students must register yearly, so please ensure you register again even if your child rode the bus last year.
Students will start in their new classes on September 7th. We are starting the school year with 4 classes. I will email you on Friday, September 3rd to let you know who their teacher will be. Sometimes enrollment fluctuates during the first week and we may need to make some adjustments so final class confirmation will not take place until Friday, September 10th. All four classes are comprised of multi-age configurations. The K/1 class will line up outside their door facing the first field, the Grade 1/2 class will line up outside the main entrance facing the first field, the Grade 3/4 class will line up outside their classroom door, and the Grade 4/5/6 class will line up outside the entrance beside the gym at the back of the school.
Our bell times have been slightly adjusted this year. Our morning bell remains the same at 8:03 and our end of day is now 2:05 with buses leaving at 2:10.
All school supplies are provided by the school for a $40 fee. This can be paid by cash/cheque/debit at the school office, or easily online through this link: https://ses.sd8.bc.ca/pay. We only ask you please send your child with non-marking indoor shoes and a personal water bottle, as well as other personal items such as a lunch kit, backpack, and appropriate outdoor clothing.
Covid Return to Schools
During the last few weeks there have been updated health and safety protocols regarding Covid 19. Please go to the school district website at https://www.sd8.bc.ca/node/44617 for the updated BC K-12 guidelines and our Sd8Communicable Disease Prevention Plan at https://www.sd8.bc.ca/sites/default/files/SD8%20Communicable_Disease-Plan-August%202021.pdf regarding a safe return to school.
Key points are:
- Masks are required for Grade 4-12 students when indoors and on the bus. Primary students are encouraged to wear masks but it is optional.
- No learning groups or cohorts are required this year.
- Conduct the daily health checklist for children listed on the website. Please do not send your child/children to school if they are showing any symptoms of illness.
- Keep up daily handwashing and hand sanitizing through-out the day.
- Classes entering and exiting via specified doors to lessen congestion in the hallway.
- Parents and guests are encouraged to make appointments - masks are required during your visit.
- Upon entry to the building, all parents and guests must sign in at the office.
- We will ease into face-to-face meeting opportunities with parents (we will continue to provide technology assisted options).
- Field trips are allowed this year.
- We will start the year with primary and intermediate assemblies easing into whole school assemblies depending on Covid updates.
Stay connected to our school by using the school app on your phone! You can report absences, make a payment, read our news updates, and receive notifications in one handy place. Here is the link to more information: https://www.sd8.bc.ca/node/42892
Our Winlaw Staff is excited to return to school and work together with you reconnecting and building our school community! Have a wonderful long weekend and see you next Tuesday.
Principal, Winlaw Elementary School