April 8, 2021
Hello Winlaw Families!
Here's a big spring update from your Parent Advisory Council.
Read on for info about:
- next PAC Meeting (March minutes are attached)
- upcoming learning opportunities from DPAC on Advocacy and PAC rules
- Volunteer opportunities/keeners needed
- If you'd like to read Winlaw PAC's Constitution and Bylaws, here's a link:
Next Meeting: Wednesday April 14th, 4pm, on zoom.
Agenda and zoom link will be sent out next week. If you're not on PAC's email list, email email@example.com to be added.
*** ALL Winlaw parent/guardians are very, very welcome to join PAC meetings, even if you've never been before! We'd love to see you there!***
SD8's District PAC has some upcoming learning opportunities. All are welcome to attend, you can RSVP to Marya and I will forward the zoom links/info when I get them. They are all free to attend!
Monday April 12, 7pm: Advocacy 101 - Advocacy for Parents and Students
Helping families navigate the policies and procedures for getting help and support with issues in your child's education.
Saturday April 17th 9AM-12:30: Parent Advocacy Training Level One
A more involved training for parent advocates navigating the school system.
Monday April 19th, 7pm: PAC 101
Understanding the rules, roles and responsibilities of PACs.
There are some PAC projects and committees that need some energy. If you'd like to volunteer, reply to this email:
- Traffic Committee - discussing and problem-solving traffic and parking issues in and around the school
- Policy Committee - a group keen to review our policies and maybe propose some new ones
- Spring Fundraising - we usually do the Spring Fling... this year it will be different. Can you help?
- Breakfast Program - we will need a new baker for next year's breakfast program - are you interested?
- Raffle - we need a new coordinator for next year's raffle. Please help!
Chair, Winlaw Elementary PAC
We always need volunteers, for events, hot lunch, fundraisers, and all the things PAC does. Studies show that parent involvement with their children’s school makes a huge difference in how children view education as valuable and important.
What can you do to get involved?
- Send us your email address firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll send you important info.
- Join the Winlaw Parents Facebook page
- Volunteer for events and programs at the school.
What does the PAC do?
- Fundraising to help provide our students with: special field trips, sports equipment, arts and music programming, end-of-year camps, and more.
- An opportunity to help shape the activities and atmosphere for students at the school.
- Advocacy help for parents whose children are having social or learning difficulties at school.
- A way to connect with other parents and feel part of a strong school community.
- Provide feedback to the School Staff, School District Staff, and School Board of Trustees about what is important for our children’s education and school experience.
Without our PAC members’ involvement and the help of our community, we may not have a local school right now for our children. Our voices and actions as parents are important, and we can contribute to a supportive, fun, and healthy experience for our kids at school!